Timisoara is the capital city of Timis County, in western Romania.

One of the largest Romanian cities, with a population of 319,279 inhabitants (the third most populous city in the Romania, based on 2011 data), and considered the informal capital city of the historical region of Banat - Timisoara is the main social, economic and cultural center in the western part of Romania.



Timisoara has a long history, beginning with ancient human settlement on the actual hearth of the city (Vinca culture, 4000 B.C.) and then with the first fortifications around the twelfth century (Timisoara was first mentioned as a place in either 1212 or 1266).


The city passed through different occupations, which had changed its development.


It began to develop under Hungarian occupation of Charles Robert of Anjou in the fourteenth century, becoming for a short time the capital of the Kingdom of Hungary.


The city was then conquered by the Ottomans in 1552, and for nearly two centuries has become an important Turkish military stronghold.



In 1716 the history of Timisoara takes a sharp turn when the city was conquered by the Habsburg Empire – it starts the reconstruction and development of the city as the capital of Banat, becoming a true multicultural and multi center. During this period, the Bega Canal construction gives a strong impetus to economic development and trade. The city is experiencing a period of unprecedented prosperity, being called "Little Vienna" in recognition of the importance and beauty.



In 1919, Banat joins Romania and Timisoara sees first Romanian administration.

In December 1989, Timisoara witnessed a series of mass street protests against communism, in what was to become the Romanian Revolution of 1989.



Interesting facts:

·         It was the first city in Romania with communal hospital in 1745 (24 years before Vienna and 34 before Budapest);

·         It was the first mainland European city to be lit by electric street lamps in 1884.

·         It was also the second European and the first city in nowadays Romania with horse-drawn trams in 1867.

·         Gustave Eiffel, the creator of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, drew the projects of one of Timisoara's footbridges over the Bega.

[click her for more on TIMIŞOARA’S FIRSTS]



The old city consists of several historic areas, such as : Cetate , Iosefin, Elisabetin, Fabric, with many buildings from the XVIII century such as The Orthodox bishop's residence, The Old City Hall, , The Former inn “La cei Şapte Principi Electori” , “The Trumpeter” House, The Canons’ Houses , The Brück House , The House with the Guilds’ Tree, Garrison Command , the Soldier House, The Brewery. Numerous bars, clubs and restaurants have opened in the old Baroque square (Unirii Square).


Some key touristic points:

·         The Timisoara Orthodox Cathedral is the Romanian Orthodox cathedral inTimişoara. The building was built between 1936 and 1940 and it is dedicated to the Three Holy Hierarchs, Saints Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian, and John Chrysostom. It has 11 towers, out of which the central and the highest has a height of 96 meters.



·         The Huniade Castle is the oldest monument of Timişoara, built between 1443 and 1447 by John Hunyadi over the old royal castle dating from the 14th century (built during the reign of Charles of Anjou). It currently houses the History Section and the Natural Sciences Section of the Banat Museum.



·         The St. George's Cathedral,Timisoara or The Dome is located in Piața Unirii, in the centre of town. The cathedral's foundation stone was put on 6 August 1736. It was designed by Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach from Vienna, then Hans Lechner continued the building from 1750. It was finished by two architects from Timişoara, Johann Theodor Kostka and Carl Alexander Steinlein in 1774. The Cathedral was built in Austrian baroque style and it was dedicated to Saint George, the dioceses patron saint.



·         The Millennium Church is located in the Fabric quarter of Timişoara, near the main Traian square. The church was built in the Neo-Romanesque style by Lajos Ybl, the foundation-stone being placed in 1896. It was sanctified on 13 October 1901 . The main towers are 65m high, the central cupola 45m, and the capacity is for 3,000 people



Source of information and photos:








Additional information